Friday, March 14, 2014

C4T #2

This week's C4T I read Diane Dahl's blog post, What does neuroplasticity research suggest about the potential of all students to master the 4Cs? In this post, Dahl states that, "The discovery that learning changes the structure and function of the brain has the potential to transform education in both profound and practical ways—if we can, once and for all, dislodge persistent misconceptions that obscure this promise." She talks about how the brain responds to what we hear, see, and do. Each brain responds differently, depending on one's experiences in everyday life. All students have the ability to learn when they have the right support and environment. She also talks about what society sees as "natural talent" or "inherited traits." Dahl responds to these assumptions with this, "By taking a constructive view “of genes as phenomena that enable rather than constrain behavior” (Sylvester, 2010, p. 18), we can move forward to create policies and schools that help equip all students with the 4Cs they need to succeed in school and in the workplace." To read more on this post, you can visit the link provided above.
Brain

My Reply:

Hello, I am a junior at the University of South Alabama. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. I did not know the brain responded in such ways. I was one of many in today's society that believed in "natural talents" and "inherited traits." I like how you state that every student has the brain power and potential to learn. I too believe that learning never stops, and you can teach an old dog new tricks. I will be sure to use this method in my classroom in the future. I have written a summary and will be posting this response in my own blog if you would like to check it out at, harrisamberedm310.blogspot.com, and our class blog at edm310.blogspot.com. Thanks for the great and helpful post.


This weeks C4T, I had the privilege of reading another one of Diane Dahl's blog posts. Dahl's most recent post is, Engaging Brains: How to Enhance Learning by Teaching Kids About Neuroplasticity. She writes about enhancing student commitment and has this to say about it, "Explicitly teaching students about neuroplasticity can have a transformative impact in the classroom. A central facet of our work as teacher educators is teaching about how the brain changes during learning. Many teachers have told us that these findings have had a positive effect on their expectations for their students and on students' perceptions of their own abilities." Dahl believes that learning changes the function and structure of the brain, and that it will engage students. Dahl also talks about strategies for engagement, and states, "Lessons and activities about the power of brain plasticity can take many forms for students of all ages." Dahl furthers on with some great points and information on this topic. To read more, visit the link posted above.
brain

My Reply:

Ms. Dahl, your post is very fascinating. You have many wonderful tips and ideas on how to expand education and student achievement in the classroom. I am an undergraduate student at the University of South Alabama, and am reading upon your blog for my EDM310 technology class. I have written a summary and will be posting this response in my own blog if you would like to check it out at, harrisamberedm310.blogspot.com, and our class blog at edm310.blogspot.com. Thanks for the great and helpful post.

No comments:

Post a Comment