Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Blog Post #2

1. The central message of this video is that not everything can be learned or taught through technology. In order to dance, you have to learn the steps by doing and practicing them. He makes his conclusion by showing that even though the students attended class, and took notes, they still could not actually do the dance, because they did not learn hands on. I agree with his conclusion because it is true that not everything can be done on a computer. You have to practice something, such as dance, with hands on activity in order to learn it.

2. I think Robert thinks there will be more resources and ways to teach with in the future.
-More sources for information
-Develop research skills
-Challenging students to look beyond what they already know
-Keeps students engaged rather than entertained
-Teaches students problem solving
-Teaches Creativity
I feel that Robert is right. Teaching is going to keep developing and it is going completely change the way people learn in the future. I think it will effect me as an educator because not only will i have to teach in a new way but i will have to learn how to due it myself first.

3. Today i watched Networked Student by Wendy Drexler. Drexler is trying to move away from the ordinary ways of learning and teaching. In this video, Drexler is showing connections with content, synthesis of information, and knowledge management that arguably could combine multiple learning theories depending upon the individual learner. I think Drexler's idea is brilliant. I hope that our educational system can move away from 'traditional learning', and make better use of the social media tools out there to create a more engaging learning experience.

4. Davis's thesis is to teach in a technology enhanced learning environment. I think technology is an advantage to the students and it will allow them to explore options and actually become the teacher, not just the student.

5. I have heard of "Flipping the Classroom", and used it some in high school in my math classes. I do think it will be useful as a teacher because it allows the student to teach themselves and come in with questions and ideas about the assignment. It will also show the student and teacher what kind of way the student learns.


classroom

2 comments:

  1. Amber,
    Students' cannot learn just by watching, and the Mr. Dancealot video provides a great example of this. As future teachers, we need to interact with our students' in order for them to retain the information. Technology is taking over our lives, especially the young kids of today. We must teach using these new resources that we are learning about and be able to keep our students engaged rather than entertained. I, myself, agree with the video "The Networked Student" about moving away from traditional learning, and engage more in social media, but I also disagree that traditional learning should go completely away. Social Media learning can only get us so far, so I do believe we should keep some aspects of traditional learning. In Davis's video "Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts," I love the idea of making the students' look up words their unfamiliar with! When you said "It will also show the student and teacher what kind of way the student learns," it was very well worded and I agree, but do you think flipping the classroom would work in the lower grades, say, first grade? I know that I wouldn't want to go home as a child just to sit at a computer to learn a new lesson, and I don't believe it's the parents job to make their child sit there and do it. As for older kids, such as fifth grade and up, this would be very useful!
    Great Post!
    Brittney Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're off to a good start but we need more insight, more reflection, more connections to your role as an educator, and more opinions about the theories and ideas being presented. Be sure to include links to the videos.

    ReplyDelete