Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Blog Post #5

In this weeks blog post assignment, we were asked to watch several videos and answer the driving question, What do you learn from these conversations with Anthony Capps?
Teacher

The first two videos I watched were, Project Based Learning Part 1: Experiences of a 3rd Grade Teacher and Project Based Learning Part 2: Experiences of a 3rd Grade Teacher. The first thing I learned is that students are driven by content. It is best to relate the project on what contents the students are required to use in order for them to learn. The most crucial part of project based learning is for the students to revise and reflect on their work. Student choice is another big aspect in project based learning. It allows the student or originate their own idea so they are less likely to take someone else.
The third video I watched was iCurio. This is a way for students to safely search websites that have been filtered for educational uses. Students have to log in to use it and they use it like a search engine. It has a storage unit so the students can save what they feel is useful and important. iCurio helps students learn how to get organized online, which will help them in the future with other technology.
Other videos that I was asked to watch included, Discovery Education, The Anthony - Strange list of Tips for Teachers Part 1, Don't Teach Tech - Use It, and Additional Thought about Lessons. These videos provided lots of helpful information.
Discovery Ed is a great resource for science and social studies. It shows videos of what the student is researching. It is also a helpful resource for teachers. Students tend to learn more from listening and watching.
Tips for Teachers was extremely helpful for me to think about, for preparing myself as a future educator. It is very important for me to teach myself the material that I'm teaching my students. Work and play are not separate in teaching. As a teacher, I cant be committed to one way of teaching. When I become an educator I need to make sure that I'm getting what I expected to get out of the course, even if the entire goal is not reached. Also, keep the kids engaged. Make the learning process interesting and something they care about.
Use Tech, Don't Teach it taught me that the students really have to constantly use the technology resources in order to use them effectively. There is always room for learning.
After watching Additional Thought about Lessons, I learned that it has 4 parts. It has to fit in with your year, as in it has to cover all of your content standards. Make units meaningful and connected to your content standards. Devise your week so every day, you can get everything done that you need to. Finally, you have the daily lesson, which is how you deliver to your students on a daily basis.
I am going to continue to research iCurio so I can use it in my future classrooms.

3 comments:

  1. "The third video I watches was iCurio." watched, not watches

    So, are your ready to be a PBL teacher? What do you need to do to answer that in the affirmative?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber. I am a student in Dr. Strange's EDM510 class and I am visiting your blog this week as part of my EDM510 assignment. You did a good job summarizing each of the sites/videos you viewed this week. I used a few of the embedded links to visit the sites that you discussed and they all worked properly. Great job. Feel free to visit my EDM510 blog Anastasia Martin EDM 510 Blog or follow me on twitter @anastasia5360.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job summarizing the videos that we were assigned. One recommendation that I would suggest is to put your videos in the paragraphs that you talk about them. That way people can click on the video as you mention them. You did do a good job on your summaries though, I thought they were spot on and you answered the question that was asked of us. I am also interested in finding out more about ICurio, it sounds like it will be a very useful tool to use in the classroom. The feature I liked most about it was the directory search feature it offered. I think this would make projects and research easier on kids, and also provide them with some information that they might not have been able to find on their own.

    ReplyDelete