Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Blog Post #7

What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Randy Pausch?

Randy Pausch

This weeks blog post assignment was to watch, "Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams." Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University. Here in his last presentation, with only months to live upon learning a diagnosis of incurable cancer, he shares lessons from his personal life and professional goals. The driving question asked was, what can we learn about learning and teaching from Randy Pausch. The first thing that really caught my attention was when he said, "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." I think he's trying to say that you learn from everything you do, even when things go wrong. I've always heard that we learn from our mistakes and that why we have consequences. Randy also talks about how we learn indirectly or by "head fake," and that this type of learning is everywhere. You never stop learning. What I learned about teaching from Mr. Pausch is that what you teach should intrigue others. Mr. Pausch states in his last lecture, "I think that that’s one of the best things you can give somebody – the chance to show them what it feels like to make other people get excited and happy." Another thing about teaching is that in order to teach, we have to learn from our students. You Cant get anywhere alone in life. Randy Pausch's Last Lecture was truly inspirational and I highly recommend watching it, I promise it will be worth your time.

1 comment:

  1. Good job Amber, I agree with you that Mr. Pausch's lecture was very inspiring and encouraging. "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted" also stuck with me throughout the lecture. I think your interpretation of what this statement meant couldn't be more true. I think everyone can learn something from Mr. Pausch's lecture.

    ReplyDelete